Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Another Attempt at Blog Resuscitation

Although my Seeing America One Back Road at a Time Tour continues with some success, this blog has been an unmitigated failure. For anyone who has taken the trouble to check in and been disappointed, my apologies. And, for those who wonder, here is the brief version of what I've done since the prior entry: I drove to Glenwood Springs Co to visit with my daughter Allison and her family for a couple of days then moved on to Santa Fe NM. After a couple of days getting settled and driving around northern New Mexico I spent a week doing a workshop with Jay Maisel at the Santa Fe Photo Workshops. More driving, exploring and photographing for another weekend, followed by 2 extremely productive and entirely wonderful days with my friend and tutor Leslie Alsheimer at the Santa Fe Digital Darkroom. Since then I have been driving south through New Mexico and West Texas with a sojourn in Big Bend National Park followed by a left turn taking me east to San Antonio where I have spent the last couple of days getting organized, well fed, and cleaned up. Checkout time at my hotel is looming so I have to conclude blogging for the time being.

I am really committed to making this blog viable, at least for the during of this trip. I have actually given some thought to what I do and don't want it to be. I'm know that you will join me in hoping that this will not be a travelogue-- way to boring. OK... what I see and do can be mentioned in passing, but the main thing I would prefer to accomplish is to describe what I am thinking as I continue in my quest to see and, more important, try to gain some understanding of our vast, infinitely varied, and, in my opinion, troubled nation. And, as is always the case in solitary and prolonged trips like this, self-discovery, whether intended or not, is an important part of the quest. I'll be contemplating these things as I drive and musing about them if and when I blog. One promise: No Political Commentary.  I learned my lesson when I did the now defunct But Then Again What Do I Know blog and won't be making that mistake again. The political opinions were, for the most part fine, the abuse garnered wasn't. I hope that you won't mind that the entries are not going to be chronological. I'd rather write about what is currently on my mind and it shouldn't matter in any significant way. Finally, about photos. I am always reluctant to post images that haven't been refined in Photoshop, yet I don't have the time or inclination to do so while travelling. I'll post pictures when the text really calls for visual enhancement, but not just to show off. How will that be?

To anyone who reads this rambling collection: Thank you for your fortitude and for being patient.  With every good wish to you all,
Byron

No comments:

Post a Comment