Monday, June 20, 2011

Day at the Yurt



Susann, Red, and I spent much of yesterday at our yurt in Crawford County. I had to vacuum up mouse droppings and do a bit of furniture rearranging, but otherwise there was no pressing need to get any work done as has always been the case previously. I feel very much at peace there and look forward to spending lots more time at the yurt this summer and fall.

For those readers who don't know about this project, the yurt was purchased from the Colorado Yurt Company in the fall of 2009 as a kit. One of the wisest decisions I ever made was to ask expert carpenters to make the platform and erect the structure. The yurt is much more substantial than a tent but compared to a cabin or any kind of prefabricated structure it is primitive. We have limited electricity generated by a very small solar unit but no running water. Last year we installed a propane stove to heat the space. It seemed advantageous at the time but proved to be vastly under performing. I plan to get and have installed a wood burning stove this summer. I had hoped that the yurt would be a 3 season structure but unless we get an adequate source of heat, it will be used just a bit in early fall and late spring and not at all in the winter.

If you are interested in visiting the yurt or touring the property let me know. I'd be glad to show you around.
Byron

1 comment: